Friday, September 19, 2008

Surprise Surprise Surprise

I do have chicks this year. LaContessa decided to start over again and I got 3 chicks from her. Not sure what color they're going to be yet. I brd here to Georgie (India Blue). They should be IB, but they seem lighter in color than her chicks last year. They were India Blues. Next couple weeks should tell.

I will be selling these chicks. I've also got a IB peacock and hen for sale. They are LaContessa and Georgie's chicks from last year. The hen should lay next spring and the male might have enough tail feathers to entice a hen. He's trying this year, but no flash, so no attention from the 2 girls. Email me at peafowliseasy@hughes.net if you're interested in either chicks or year old birds.

2 Comments:

At 4/10/2009 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you seem to know a bit about the beauts. I recently obtained 2 males and one peahen. She has been sitting on a nest for about 5 days. I have not checked to see if she has eggs or not for fear of disrupting her. i would hate to loose the eggs out of my curiosity.
I did want to ask you how long do they sit before they hatch? Once an egg does hatch is there anything I need to do or be prepared for? Thanks for any input. You have some beautiful birds.

 
At 4/15/2009 4:38 PM, Blogger Bob Daugherty said...

If she's setting, there will be eggs under her. Give her another 23 days (eggs hatch in 28 days). She will take care of the chicks, show them what to eat and keep them warm at night.

See my recent post about using chickens to hatch out more eggs. Peafowl hens will lay up to 30 eggs a season if you keep taking them. I usually take the first 10-12 and then let them set on 4-5 eggs. Hope to get 10-15 chicks this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home